Photographs

All images remain the copyright of the owner and they cannot be used in any way without permission.

Friday, September 03, 2004

Red-backed Shrike at Prior's Fen


© Kevin Du Rose

Kev says: "On the evening of 3 September I was making one of my regular birding visits to Prior's Fen. As I walked along the edge of the main pit, I noticed out of the corner of my eye a bird flying along the edge of the reeds. I immediately recognised it as as something unusual based on its size. It had to be a shrike, a Wryneck or a Barred Warbler.

"After a couple of minutes the bird emerged on the edge of a small sallow bush, and a quick check with the scope revealed it was a juv Red-backed Shrike. In the few days previous to this, there were been a number of Redstarts, Whinchats and Wheatears in the Peterborough area. I suppose it arrived with these... no sign of a rosefinch with the sparrows at Willow Hall though, maybe next year!"

No comments: